Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fat with promise

Happy New Year, everyone! I really love New Years. There is something about the clean slate of a whole new year that just feels good. It's a new decade too, so that's an extra level of excitement. Everything feels fat with promise. This year is especially fat with promise, not just because I'm, ahem... several... pounds heavier, but because it is the year that dear Baby Fox will be born. When I think about a life that has yet to be lived, I am overwhelmed with possibility and hope and excitement. I am literally fat with the promise of a new, unlived life. Wow.

I have to admit, I was hoping she'd squeak in to 2010, but now that it is clear she won't, I don't mind waiting a little longer. I think it will be more fun for her to be born as far from Christmas as she can get. Fox's birthday is Christmas Day, and it really takes something away from your birthday when you have to share it with Jesus.

Speaking of Christmas, this year was very different from all previous Christmases. Every year of my life, I've spent Christmas in my hometown of Columbia, Tennessee. Once we got married, we still split each Christmas between Columbia and Fox's hometown, Bruceton. I know this is the first Christmas Bill has spent outside of Tennessee -- he even drove home from Denver one year when there was a blizzard and all the flights were cancelled. This may even be the first Christmas in my mom's and dad's lives that they have spent Christmas outside of Tennessee.

My mom does Christmas like a domestic goddess -- everything is spotless, beautifully decorated, and delicious. However, because Christmas was so close to my due date, I was not allowed to make the four hour drive to Columbia. So mom, dad, and Bill came to us for Christmas Eve and morning and Fox's family came to us for Christmas day and night. Things were not really spotless, beautifully decorated, or as delicious, but we tried and we had a very good time.
Mom and Bill did most of the cooking, which was a nice break for me.

I did have some festive table decorations.

The Moores.

Kerouac wants to know what's in that belly!

All my favorite guys. We tried to use the timer to get a group shot, instead I got the giggles.

Banjo was excited to help open presents

So was Owen

Who am I kidding? We were excited to open presents too.

Fox with his grandmother, sister, and mother

After the Christmas festivities were over, we headed back to work as usual. The week between Christmas and New Years is always much more low-key in the law firm world. Lots of folks take time off, so you can get work done without a lot of interruptions and stress. We did have New Year's Eve off work, so we went to the movies. We had seen True Grit over Christmas, and it was fantastic, so next on our list was The Fighter. We really enjoyed it too. We went out to dinner with our good friends the Bartletts to one of my favorite restaurants, The Vortex. We realized recently that The Vortex is not child friendly, so we are trying to get our fill of it pre-baby. They do have take-out though, so I can see that in my future. After dinner we all went to ring in the New Year with the spectacular Grant Cove Crew of the Feases, Hacketts, and Cairo. A good time was had by all.

Baby Fox got measured, and she's in the 60th percentile for size and measuring right on her due date. The estimate is that she'll be around 7 to 7 1/2 pounds at birth, which is allegedly in TEN DAYS!! At this point, she's fully-cooked and just hanging out to gain some more weight which will help regulate her body temperature in the outside world. It's pretty strange thinking she could come at any minute, though I've heard that first babies are often late. Fox is betting on the 19th as her arrival to coincide with the full moon. I think that would be nice. The 20th would also be nice because it is the 6th anniversary of Fox proposing to me on that East Nashville stage.

I'm going to post nursery pictures this weekend. Get ready! Also, I love to drop lyrics in everyday conversation. Extra points if you know the song and/or artist from which the title of this post is derived.

1 comment:

  1. We found that out about the Vortex on Tuesday when we went there (with 2 of the kids) to have lunch with my brother. Bummer. So we ate at Fellinis instead, which almost made up for it.

    ReplyDelete