Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow day

I didn't believe the hype. "A big snowstorm is coming," they said. "Sure," I thought. As you can see, I was mistaken. We have allegedly gotten 9 inches of snow in the last 24 hours. It doesn't look like quite that much to me, but the street next to our house is a sheet of ice. Fox walked the mile to work this morning, while I chose to work from home. Neither of us were interested in involving ourselves with the clueless drivers of Atlanta and risking the life of our dear Prius. After all, we just installed the car seat yesterday -- how sad would it be to already be in a wreck? It has been nice to not put on office clothes today, so working from home is just fine with me.

As promised, I took lots of pictures of the nursery. Though it is finished for the time being, the nursery is a work in progress. The lactation consultant who taught the breastfeeding class at Piedmont Hospital recommended sleeping in the same room as the baby for the first couple of months. For most people, this means having the baby sleep in the parent's room. We decided that since the nursery was previously a guest bedroom, we could just leave the bed in there for a couple of months and sleep there. We hope this will make Baby Fox more comfortable and used to her room. Also, while I'm off work and Fox is working, I can sleep in the nursery, and he can get a good night's sleep in our room some nights. Once Baby Fox is sleeping more regularly through the night, we will take the bed out and rearrange the room some. I have my eye on a really cute wall decal on Etsy to decorate with once we take that next step.



Here is the aforementioned bed with the crib (complete with Sleep Sheep, which I've heard is a must -- for those of you unfamiliar with the Sleep Sheep, it is a white noise machine that simulates the mother's heartbeat, rain, or whale songs)



Here is the crib and changing table. The cloth diaper arsenal has been washed and will be ready to go once we get through the newborn Huggies that were gifted to us. There is also a healthy dose of swaddlers and blankets on the bottom shelf. The mobile was mine when I was a baby (and maybe Bill's too -- I should check with mom). Speaking of mom, you can see the crib skirt she made. Here is a better photo of the fabric, though I failed to get the cute pompom trim:





Mom also made a cover for the stool that goes with the vanity. Those of you born in the 70's or early 80's may recognize the Fisher Price chime ball on the table. Also visible is the Twilight Turtle, which is a nightlight that makes stars on the ceiling. Where was this when I was little?



Baby Fox is already amassing a library and some cute stuffed animals.



Here's a perspective shot. I'm standing at the bathroom door. To my immediate right off camera is the door to the hall, with the vanity next to it and the closet next to that. See, it's like you are practically there. You can also see some snow out the windows.

Even though Baby Fox is now the size of a small watermelon, I'm feeling pretty good. I got a haircut before going out on New Year's Eve, because who knows when I'll have time to get another one.

I always hate taking the stockings down.

We're hoping the snow melts pretty soon and/or Baby Fox waits a bit before making her entrance into the world. Though we're about two miles from the hospital, it just seems easier to not add snow to the craziness that is having your first baby. She's due in FIVE DAYS, though I haven't really noticed anything lately that indicates she's on her way (though last Thursday, I would have told you she was going to be here within a few days). I have set up a pool for anyone who wants to participate in some good, old-fashioned gambling (really, if you can't gamble over a baby, why have one? This is a free pool to guess arrival date, size, etc. And no, you don't have to register -- just click on "enter a guess" after you click on the blog link). I think you can access it on the side of the blog.

I'll keep posting and hopefully you'll keep reading. Eventually, there will be a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment