Monday, January 24, 2011

The Third Fox

She's here! Annabel Jane Fox made her big entrance into the world at 11:28 pm EST on January 19, 2011. She weighed in at 7 pounds and 4.8 ounces and is 20 inches long. To those of you interested in the birth mix, she was born in the middle of "Mayonaise," our favorite Smashing Pumpkins song. When she was born, she looked exactly like her dad, but she's starting to look less like his carbon copy and more like both of us. I had always heard that from an evolutionary standpoint, babies look just like their father at birth so the fathers would know it was their child and want to protect it -- I just wasn't expecting to feel like I had just birthed a mini female version of my husband. Nature sure is something!


The birth was great -- we were able to achieve our goal of an unmedicated birth. I will dedicate a post to the actual birth soon, I just didn't want to leave you hanging without any pictures of the much-anticipated Baby Fox. I know a lot of people don't understand why an unmedicated birth was important to us and some people think it is downright crazy. For me, having the ability to bring new life into the world is amazing, and it is something that I fully want to experience. Giving birth isn't a medical procedure, and isn't something that is done to you. It is an event, and you are a participant. So any analogies to "you wouldn't get a filling without pain medication" or "you wouldn't have surgery without pain medication" really miss the mark. Yes, it hurt like nothing else, but it was an incredible experience, and really at the end of the day, that's all life is -- a collection of experiences, feelings and relationships. I will never forget what it felt like to bring Annabel into the world, and that's a good thing, even with the tough parts. For Annabel, we felt like it was a healthier way to go. She was very alert after birth and started nursing immediately.

So here she is!
The spitting image of Fox.
This is her first picture about an hour after birth (they let me hold her to bond and nurse for the first hour).


Proud Papa
All dressed up and headed home.
We'll check in again real soon.

7 comments:

  1. beautiful, well written and I AGREE. So proud of you, mama fox and so proud of your new family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, she is adorable!! She does look a lot like her daddy :) We'll have to come see her soon. Enjoy your newest addition!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so cute - congrats to both of you! You deserve to be proud of your birth experience and of the beautiful baby girl who was the result of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've birthed 2 of our 3 in the comfort of our own home. You get nothing but the utmost understanding from the Linn Quintet. Your daughter is lovely & we are glad you cherish your new role. Well done! -Mark & Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's beautiful and I thought she looked like you in the 1st pic I saw but now I see where she did look like Fox too...She's gorgeous no matter who she looks like!

    Also, you are my hero totally unmedicated! Plus how does your hair look so damn good after all that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Jenn on the hair - gorgeous - so gorgeous it draws attention away from the baby - well, just for a second! Congratulations! It sounds like you had the birthing experience you wanted - YEA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete