Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Reunited and it feels so good

Oh Vandy, Vandy, Vandy... how I miss your carefree and crazy days (I mean, as carefree as law school can be and probably crazier than it should). We attempted to relive said days this weekend. Some of us were more successful than others. I was probably one of the least successful in the reliving.

We headed to Nashville late Thursday afternoon. We made it to the Springwater Supper Club right on time for Fox's and Libby's show. Unfortunately, the show started an hour later than we thought. Fortunately, we had some really good friends show up and got to catch up with them. The Gobbles and the Biaches were a strong showing from the Columbia contingent. Fox's mom, sister, and aunt were a strong showing from the Fox contingent. We also had several Class of 2005ers show up. My long-time friend Clark Simmons showed up and accompanied Libby on drums for a few songs. Fox's set was less murder-ballads and more love songs. I enjoyed myself and forgot to take pictures, as usual. We stayed up late catching up.

Friday, we met the Fonnesbecks for lunch at Fido, which is a big favorite of ours. Then we met up with the 2005 gang at Satco, where I watched the consumption of beers and queso. We went to a reception honoring Professor Belton and unveiling his portrait. We went to a cocktail reception for all the alums where I watched more beers (and wine!) be consumed. Then we went to Flying Saucer, where, you guessed it, I watched more beers be consumed.

Nick, Baker, Dave, Fox, me, and Libs at the Saucer

The night ended (for the Foxes) at Second Fiddle, one of the many fine honky-tonks on lower Broadway. I made it until 2 a.m. (central time!). The rest of the 2005 crew ended their night an hour or so later after a trip to Lonnie's, the world's best karaoke bar. I'm sure it was epic. Rumor is Nick sang Journey's Open Arms.

The next day, we met the Fonnesbecks again for lunch, this time at one of Nashville's many fine Indian buffets. We then met the 2005ers at Sam's to watch football for many hours. The big scheduled event for Saturday was the class dinner. The Class 0f 2005 shared its dinner with the Classes of 1995 and 2000 at Sambuca, which did not exist when any of us were in school. The dinner was open bar, which is never a good idea for a room full of lawyers. I also think we intimidated the Classes of 1995 and 2000 with our great turn out, and good looks.

The Bakers, Collinses, and Foxes at Sambuca

After Sambuca, we headed over to Red Door. I made it until 1:30, of which I was proud. Then it was time to say goodbyes to everyone. I'm not sure how long everyone else stayed out or what momentous events occurred. It was a fun reunion, and it was so nice to catch up with everyone.

Kelley, Monifa, and I say our goodbyes at Red Door

On the Baby Fox front, the big news is that we started our third trimester. Woot! I'm very excited about this. I've been busy making fingernails. Also, I passed the Glucose Challenge!, which is good news because it was incredibly uncomfortable for me. Drinking the flat orange beverage wasn't so bad -- it was the crashing and burning feeling I had for the rest of the day. Apparently it doesn't feel good to have spikes in your blood sugar. It also made Baby Fox very hyper, so I got a lot of kicks and punches. I'm not sure how we would have made it through the three-hour test if we had failed the challenge.

I would like to clarify one thing that I think has confused some of my readers who know me well. Some of my previous posts may make it appear that Baby Fox will be clothed in nothing but very traditional and girly dresses. And for those who know me, that seems strange. I do have a great love of vintage clothing, because no one else will be wearing it and it has a feeling of history to it. In the picture of me above at the Flying Saucer, I'm wearing my favorite dress, which my mom got in 1969. There is a picture of her pregnant with me in it that I love. So yes, I'm very excited about dressing Baby Fox in my old dresses. However, she will also be in some funkier clothes as well. Just wait, you'll see. She'll get her own style.
Check in with us next week for the 29th week of pregnancy. Baby Fox will weigh 2 and a half pounds (like a butternut squash). Her bones will be hardening, just in time to be a spooky Halloween skeleton. We'll be sure to have tons of pictures from the annual Fox Howl-o-ween Bash. Halloween is a big deal around the Fox Lair. What will we be? You'll have to check back in to see!



I leave you with this gem. My hilarious friend Tiffany has wanted to make this shirt for a long time. I had forgotten that she planned to do so, when a package arrived at my office. Here I am in the trademark file room showing it off. In case you can't tell, it says "The World Just Needs a Little Moore Fox." This is funny because Baby Fox is a little Moore (my maiden name) Fox (our last name). Hee-hee!

3 comments:

  1. You are the cutest pregnant lady ever!! It was so great to see you at the reunion (and by the way, let me say again that I loved the dress you wore at Sambuca!)--you are such a trooper to have stayed out so late with us both nights and for watching everyone revert back to their ridiculous law school selves. ;) Happy third trimester!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see a pic of the shirt! And of your lovely bump. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. elizabeth i'm obsessed with the vintage orange dress!

    ReplyDelete