Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The dirty dozen

I would first like to apologize to both of my blog readers for being so tardy this week. Once you read the post, I think you'll see why I'm so behind. So, without further ado...


Last Sunday, we went to the Tabernacle to see Pavement on their reunion tour. If you've never been to the Tabernacle, you really should find an excuse to go. It is a venue that started as a church in 1910. It is huge (for an old church) and breathtakingly decorated inside. Baby Fox and I hung out in one of the side rooms, which has beautiful exposed brick and lovely antique furniture, while the opening band played. Once Pavement took the stage, I joined Fox on the third row of the center of the top balcony -- we could see everything but were away from the real action, just in case. The crowd was great, and the band gave us two encores. Baby Fox seemed to especially enjoy "Stereo." I made a note to put it on the birth mix.


Monday we had pilates. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, Fox and I both had to work pretty late. Friday morning, I got sworn into the Georgia Supreme Court. Friday afternoon, we were on the road to Memphis for our friends Jessica and Sean's rehearsal dinner and wedding. Highlights of the drive include eating at a combination Taco Bell / KFC (I killed a 7 layer burrito), seeing a huge billboard at Talledaga, Alabama that simply said "Where's the birth certificate" (I wish I was kidding about that), and hitting our 500-mile-on-one-tank-of-gas goal (Fox wants me to point out that we actually made it 502).



While in Memphis, we stayed with our friend from law school, Ryan Baker, and his lovely bride Ashley. Our last trip to Memphis was in January of this year for their nuptials. They live on Mud Island, which brought back so many memories from childhood for me -- I loved Mud Island. There was a tram you could ride, then once you were there, you could take your shoes off and stomp around in a large relief replica of the Mississippi River. We didn't do that on this trip, but we did do something pretty awesome. Baker is a the proud owner and pilot of a 1941 J5 Piper Cruiser, and he took me to his hangar in West Memphis to see it! He even let Baby Fox and me play around in the cockpit! She kicked up a storm while we were in there -- I think she can already tell when something is rad. Seriously, the plane is made of fabric! My dad used to fly little planes similar to this way back in the day, so I had to call him and tell him all about it. His response? "Don't fly in it. Remember, you're pregnant."



After all our aviation excitement, we headed over to the Memphis Botanical Gardens for wedding pictures and such (Fox was an usher in the wedding). The weather was beautiful, and it was very nice to spend time in the gardens. The ceremony occurred under a lovely wooden pavilion beneath tall and stately trees. Jessica had chosen sunflowers as decorations, and it was simply stunning. After the "I dos" were said, we headed to the ballroom for food and festivities.

I love dancing at weddings. I wasn't sure how that would go being 25 weeks pregnant. This was Baby Fox's second wedding, but her first was long ago when we were a mere 8 weeks along. ** FLASHBACK ** The wedding of our friends Shaun and Sunita occurred before the blog existed, but it was fantastic, and by far the most wedding dancing I've ever done. It was an Indian wedding, and I have to say that Indian wedding guests know how to get it done on the dance floor. I tried to sit at one point to rest, but our friend Roshan dragged me back out on the dance floor. "But I'm having a baby!" I protested. "Not tonight you aren't," he said. "Now get back out there."



I'm happy to report that we were still able to cut a rug with no problem. Of course Fox was in his usual fine form.



All that dancing made me hungry. Luckily, Jessica had chosen amazing Southern comfort food for her guests. I had a good Southern "beige plate" -- which is what I call the vegetarian options at true Southern events. All the foods that are vegetarian are always beige (greens always have some hog involved). So I loaded up on mac n' cheese, corn casserole, and grits. And I could have kissed Jessica for having fried pickles as the walk-around hors d'oeuvres. Also, in lieu of a groom's cake, Sean had donuts and coffee. After the beige plate, Fox and I split a donut.



So congrats to Jessica and Sean! The wedding was beautiful, and we had a blast. AND, we got some good pictures. Also, we got some "hard" pictures. How funny is a photo with the bride and groom looking "hard"?





On Sunday, we had a baby shower in Fox's hometown of Bruceton. It was lovely. The Fox family has some great friends, and they were so kind to Baby Fox and me. We got lots of cute outfits and blankets and toys and other necessities. There are lots of pictures, but none of them were taken with my camera, so I don't have any to share yet.

Speaking of Baby Fox, we're almost finished with our 25th week, and Baby Fox weighs 12 pounds. Actually, she doesn't -- but I've gained 12 pounds, so we are pretending that it's all Baby Fox. Aren't we? Yes, we are. I've been busy growing hair for her all week. Also, we ordered our crib! Be sure to check in with us next week (which will be here before you know it), when Baby Fox is as long as a hothouse cucumber. That doesn't even sound real -- we're just making up vegetables at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment