Thursday, August 4, 2011

Food Fight!

I really should not be blogging. Work is exploding everywhere, and I should be reviewing advertisements or doing legal research. That's what I was doing a few minutes ago, and that's what I'll be doing in a few more. But for now, I'm going to share some pictures of my sweet baby eating food.











Weekend before last (July 23), we gave Annabel her first "solid" food. I sent Fox to Whole Foods to get some organic green beans for me to steam and puree. His firm generously gave us a Beaba Babycook when Annabel was born, and it is fantastic. I had been dying to use it, but the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting until 6 months to start solid foods, so I've been patient. The Beaba steams and purees -- and you only have one thing to wash! It's super easy.




So, I steamed. I pureed. I tasted. It was delicious. I decided long ago not to feed Annabel any food that I wouldn't eat (unless it was made with breastmilk, because that's where I draw the line). So I got the adorable, colorful soft spoons out. Fox got the cameras. Annabel knew something exciting was about to happen. She was more than happy to grab the spoon and guide it into her mouth.



Then I got this face.









Oh. No. She hates it. She won't have healthy eating habits. She'll never learn to eat solid food. This is a disaster. All paranoid mother thoughts flood my brain at once. But, I try another bite, and she is willing. It's better, right? Nope, I get this face.





I love that as a six-month-old, she can register complete disgust on her face already. I don't have a poker face either, Annabel -- put all those emotions out there for everyone to see. I also love that she can make that face, and then be willing to keep trying more. Every time I presented her with the spoon, she would try more. She ate the entire amount that I'd prepared. By the end of the feeding, she was having a blast.













We had green beans for three days. On day two, she was scarfing it down. After our green beans, she moved on to sugar snap peas. On day one, I got unhappy faces. On day two, she was all in. Then we moved on to avocado. Same thing, day one she was a skeptic. Day two, a believer. Then we moved to rice cereal. This weekend, we're going bananas -- her first fruit. I know I'm excited.




I think her reaction was mainly due to the foreign texture of the food. Imagine if all you'd ever had was milk. How weird would purees seem? I think we're off to a good start. It has been hard to feed her foods every morning before we head to work/school. I was just starting to master our schedule and get out of the house at a decent hour. Now I have to add the solid food feeding, which is a good 25 minutes. I'm really not sure how people get everything done. I sure don't feel like I am. Everytime I get something mastered, she moves on to something else. However, we've had lots of fun events lately. Check back after the weekend for a run down of them (hopefully).



P.S. How fun is the vintage Hello Kitty shirt? It was mine back in 1980 or so. It makes a great sleep shirt for Baby Bug.

1 comment: